Requirements, Process & Policies
Please read the qualification requirements for membership in STANY:
- Are you currently employed as a trader within the New York Metropolitan area? (New York City, Long Island, Westchester, Rockland, all other counties in lower New York State, New Jersey, Southern Connecticut) --OR-- If you are not a trader, are you employed by a firm, government or non-profit organization that is engaged in the investment, securities or banking business or the regulation of those businesses. And, are you employed in a capacity that directly supports or assists the trading of securities, such as compliance on a trading desk or employment by an exchange?
- Have you been employed in that capacity for at least one year? (requires all relevant and necessary licenses for one year prior to application)
- Can you provide recommendations from two current STANY members in good standing?
If your answers to all of the above questions are "yes", please go to the online application
- Print out and complete the online application form
- Mail or fax your completed application to STANY.
- After your application is verified for accuracy, it is forwarded to the members of the Board of Directors for their approval.
- If your application is approved, you will receive a letter notifying you of your acceptance. You will also receive an invoice for the annual dues and initiation fee. After acceptance your dues may be paid on-line or by check or mail submission of credit card information. You will not be able to pay for your membership on-line prior to approval by the Board of Director.
- After payment of your application fee and dues, you will receive your membership card in the mail and enjoy full membership benefits
The STANY Board reviews applications on a monthly basis. Currently, annual dues for STANY membership are $150 per person. Membership in STANY is open only to individuals; there are no corporate or firm memberships. In addition to the annual dues, there is a one-time initiation fee of $100, due upon acceptance into membership.
A portion of members' dues, currently $50, is paid to STA. All STANY members in good standing are also members of STA and enjoy full benefits of membership in that organization.
STANY's dues may be deducted as a business expense; however it may not be deducted as a charitable deduction for tax purposes. Current tax laws prohibit $50 of your dues from being tax deductible, as this is the estimated portion of dues dedicated for lobbying purpose.
Applicants should allow 3-4 weeks for processing of their applications. Approved members will be notified of acceptance by mail.
Please review the membership requirements carefully along with the following payment policy, and then choose the application form that suits your situation. If you have questions about the status of your membership, please contact the STANY Office at 212.344.0410.
- Dues invoices are sent out in October. As a result of the implementation of optional insurance plans effective January 1, dues invoices are sent in October to give those interested members time to pay their dues and be eligible for the plans. To be eligible for life insurance in the following year, a member must be in good standing on December 1st of the prior year, with dues paid in advance for the upcoming year.
- Annual dues should be paid by January 1st.
- On May 1st, all the members who have not paid their dues will have their membership suspended. Those who have their memberships suspended will not be eligible for any offered discounts, use of the website, etc., until they reactivate their membership.
- After October 1st, any member who has not paid his or her dues is no longer a member and will need to reapply. The individual must reapply through a Suspended Membership Application. This application is similar to the New Member Application, except that sponsors are not required.