Updated August 28, 2020
This Notice explains how The Security Traders Association of New York, Inc. (STANY) (“STANY”, “we”, “group” or “us”) collects and processes your Personal Data. Each time you use our Site, the current version of this Notice will apply. Accordingly, whenever you use our Site, you should check the date of this Notice (which appears at the top) and review any changes since the last version. This Notice is applicable to all Site visitors, registered users, and all other users of our Site.
By visiting www.stany.org or related properties, (together the “Site”), you acknowledge that you have read and understood the processes and policies referred to in this Notice.
Who we are
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), the Data Controller is The Security Traders Association of New York, Inc. (STANY) registered in New York, USA with a registered address at 79 Madison Avenue, Rm 444, New York, NY 10016.
Our Chief Executive Officer, Kimberly Unger, is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this Notice for the purposes of the GDPR.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about this Notice, please contact us using the Contact Us section on our Site.
Alternatively, you can contact us by phone at 212.344.0410, by sending an email to [email protected] or by mail to STANY 79 Madison Avenue, Rm 444, New York, NY 10016.
Site is the https://stany.org website operated by The Security Traders Association of New York (STANY) or related properties.
Personal Data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Site or from the Site infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
Cookies are small pieces of data stored on your device (computer or mobile device).
Data Controller means the natural or legal person who (either alone or jointly or in common with other persons) determines the purposes for which and the manner in which any personal information are, or are to be, processed.
Data Processors (or Service Providers)
Data Processor (or Service Provider) means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller.
We may use the services of various Service Providers in order to process your data more effectively.
Data Subject (or User)
Data Subject is any living individual who is using our Site and is the subject of Personal Data.
How we collect personal data
Personal Data that you give us
We may collect and process the following Personal Data:
- Contact information, which you provide when corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Site and when you report a problem with our Site. The information you give us may include, but is not limited to, your name, address, work affiliation, title, e-mail address, phone number, financial information and/or credit card information.
- Membership information, about your membership including your name, contact details such as address, phone number and email address (business or personal), age, job title, year of licensing, and any other information related to your membership. Membership information may be provided by you during the registration process, or by your employer on your behalf.
- Dues payment information, including financial information such as credit/debit card and account numbers used to register or renew your membership.
- Purchase information, relating to purchases made by members and non-members of event passes and event participation, or any other goods or services either in-person or via our Site. Purchase information will include financial information as well as information concerning the content and time of the purchase. Purchase information may be provided by you during the purchase process, or by your employer on your behalf.
- Information obtained in relation to events. When you register for an event we may collect additional information (online or offline) in relation to the event organization, and during an event, such as participation in sessions and survey results. Events may be recorded and group photos taken. We reserve the right to use photos and video recordings for promotional use. When you provide us with your business contact information (such as by handing over a business card) we may use this to communicate with you.
Personal data we collect from you
With regard to each of your visits to the Site we may automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number; and
- Location information
Personal Data we collect from others
We may receive information about you from partners or publicly available and third-party databases or services that provide information about businesspeople that we believe will help us identify provide products and services that may be of interest to you. We will obtain your consent before contacting you if required by the law of the country in which you are located.
We collect information that is sent to us automatically by your web browser and we may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about visitors to our Site, including, without limitation:
- IP addresses
- Browser type and plug-in details
- Device type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.)
- Operating system
- Local time zone
We may use non-Personal Data for various business purposes such as providing customer service, fraud prevention, market research, and improving our Site. Please check your web browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
How we use your Personal Data
We will only process your Personal Data, including sharing it with third parties, where (1) you have provided your consent which can be withdrawn at any time, (2) the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party e.g. to secure your membership in The Security Traders Association (STA) when you register as a member of The Security Traders Association of New York (STANY), (3) we are required by law, (4) processing is required to protect your vital interests or those of another person, or (5) processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate commercial interests, except where such interests are overridden by your rights and interests.
Personal Data that you give us
We may use Personal Data that you provide directly to us for the following purposes:
- to carry out our obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to organize events that you have purchased or registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- to provide our newsletter and other publications, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- to respond to your questions and provide related membership services;
- to provide you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- to notify you about changes to our membership service; and
- to ensure that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
Information we collect about you
We will use Personal Data that we have collected about your use of our Site:
- to administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our Site to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our Site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Personal Data we receive from other sources
We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined Personal Data for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
When we share and who can access your Personal Data
We may share your Personal Data for the purposes described in this Notice with:
- a member of our group;
- partners, sponsors, suppliers and sub-contractors, for the performance of obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract we enter into with them or you or to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our Site; and
- trusted third-party companies and individuals to help us provide, analyze, and improve the Site and our membership services (including but not limited to data storage, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and payment processing).
We will only transfer your Personal Data to trusted third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
The payment processors we work with are:
Authorize.net (a Visa Company)
The security of your data is important to us but remember that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
If we learn of a breach of our security system or processes, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using our Site, or providing personally identifiable information to us, you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of our Site. In the event of a breach, we may post a notice on our Site and/or send you an email at the email address you provided.
How Long we Store your Personal Data
We will store your Personal Data, in a form which permits us to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Data is processed. We may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it. Consistent with these requirements, we will try to delete your Personal Data quickly upon request.
Where we Store your Personal Data
The Personal Data that you provide to us is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, you should be aware that once your Personal Data is submitted through our Site, it will be transferred to our servers in the United States and that the United States currently does not have uniform data protection laws in place.
Tracking Cookies Data
Cookies are files with small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Tracking technologies also used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze our Site.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Site.
Examples of Cookies we use:
- Session Cookies. We use Session Cookies to operate our Service.
- Preference Cookies. We use Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
- Security Cookies. We use Security Cookies for security purposes.
"Do Not Track" Signals
We do not support Do Not Track ("DNT"). Do Not Track is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked.
You can enable or disable Do Not Track by visiting the Preferences or Settings page of your web browser.
Security Traders Association of New York, Inc. (STANY) recognizes that children are especially vulnerable and may not understand the consequences of providing their personal information online. Therefore, we do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. If you are not 13 years of age or older, please do not use this Site. All children between the ages of 13 and 18 must obtain a parent or guardian's permission before registering for our services, purchasing our products, or downloading any files from this Site. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child or a minor under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated Personal Data to our Site without your consent, then you may alert us at [email protected] so that we may take appropriate action to remove the minor's Personal Data from our Site.
Links to Third Party Sites and Services
Our Site may contain links to third-party websites, applications and services not operated by us. These links are provided as a service and do not imply any endorsement by us of the activities or content of these sites, applications or services nor any association with their operators. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third-party including websites or services directly linked to our Site. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third-party site that you link from our Site.
Correction and removal
If any of the information that we have about you is incorrect, or you wish to have information (including Personal Data) removed from our records, you may do so by updating your personal profile on our Site or contacting us at [email protected] for rectification or removal.
Additionally, if you prefer not to receive marketing messages from us, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any marketing message that you receive, or by sending a message to us at [email protected]
Your European Rights
FOR EUROPEAN RESIDENTS ONLY. If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. The Security Traders Association of New York, Inc. (STANY) aims to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete, or limit the use of your Personal Data. You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Data for marketing purposes.
If you wish to be informed what Personal Data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us.
Under European data protection law, in certain circumstances, you have the right to:
Request access to your Personal Data. You may have the right to request access to any Personal Data we hold about you as well as related information, including the purposes for processing the Personal Data, the recipients or categories of recipients with whom the Personal Data has been shared, where possible, the period for which the Personal Data will be stored, the source of the Personal Data, and the existence of any automated decision making.
Request correction of your Personal Data. You may have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate Personal Data we hold about you.
Request erasure of your Personal Data. You may have the right to request that Personal Data held about you is deleted.
Object to processing of your Personal Data. You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your Personal Data.
Request restriction of processing your Personal Data Request transfer of your Personal Data. You may have the right to request transfer of Personal Data directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.
Withdraw your consent
You can exercise any of these rights by contacting us using the Contact Us section on our Site. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
Your Californian Rights
FOR RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA ONLY. Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code requires select businesses to disclose policies relating to the sharing of certain categories of your Personal Data with third parties. If you reside in California and have provided your Personal Data to The Security Traders Association of New York, Inc. (STANY), you may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of Personal data to third parties for direct marketing purposes.
Such requests must be submitted to us at one of the following addresses:
Attn: California Privacy Rights
79 Madison Avenue, Rm 444
New York, NY 10016
We may record virtual meeting and conference sessions (audio and video), taking screenshots, photographs and videos of these sessions for use on the Security Traders Association of New York, Inc. (STANY) Site in news and promotional materials, in print, electronic and other media and social media channels. Event attendees, participants and speakers grant us the right to use any image, photograph, voice, filmed recording or likeness, recorded during these virtual meeting and conference sessions without limitation and without compensation, in its promotional materials, in print, electronic and other media and social media channels and on its Site. All such images and recordings are the property of the Security Traders Association of New York, Inc. (STANY) and may be used by us for any purpose.
Changes to this Notice
If we make any material changes to this Notice or the way we use, share or collect personal Data, we will notify you by revising the “Effective Date” at the top of this Notice, prominently posting an announcement of the changes on our Site, or sending an email to the email address you most recently provided us (unless we do not have such an email address) prior to the new policy taking effect.
Any changes we make to this Notice in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notification sent to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this Notice.